• 1 lb whole wheat penne pasta (I used Ronzoni Garden Delight)
• 1 lb. 95-97% Lean ground beef, pan fried and drained
• 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
• 1 Tbsp. olive oil
• 1 Tbsp. minced garlic (from a jar)
• 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed
• 1 tsp oregano
• 2 tbsp basil
• salt and fresh pepper to taste
• 8 oz fat-free cottage cheese
• 1 cup (112grams) Kraft fat free shredded mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
1. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and return to pot.
2. Brown ground beef in a skillet and drain excess fat.
3. While the ground beef and pasta are cooking in a medium skillet, heat olive oil and sauté minced garlic for five minutes. Add chopped spinach, salt, pepper and tomatoes. Season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook on low heat until heated through.
4. Add the ground beef and pasta to the sauce and mix the ingredients well and let it cook on low for an additional five minutes. Add half of the mozzarella cheese and the cottage cheese. Mix all ingredients well then transfer to the baking pan.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Top with the remaining mozzarella.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until mozzarella is melted and the edges are lightly browned.
Macros per oz. – 2.9 grams protein/4.4 grams carbs/.6 grams fat
One 8 oz. serving would be – 23.2 grams protein/35.2 grams carbs / 4.8 grams fat